Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I'm Pretty Boring, Actually.

I have this weird theory about well-known indie/alt bands. If you’re at all into the alternative music scene, I think you have one hardcore, dominant band that you love out of the following list: The Decemberists, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie. You may like a few songs from the other bands, yes, but you have one favorite and they are THE BEST and you don’t understand why everyone else doesn’t agree. I know lots of people who are hardcore Radiohead fans, or Death Cab fans, and they never intersect with being a hardcore Decemberists or Modest Mouse fan. This is all, of course, probably bullshit, but it’s based on my experience as a hardcore Decemberists fan who dated a hardcore Radiohead fan. He thought Thom Yorke was the greatest musical genius; I worship at the altar of Colin Meloy. I worship that man. He and RuPaul are the closest thing I have to religious idols. And David Foster Wallace, and Kathleen Hanna. And, of course, Amanda Palmer is quickly reaching sainthood. And Sylvia Plath. And David Bowie. And Flight of the Conchords. 

Okay I have a lot of favorites. I get really, insanely passionate about things I love. If you are important to me, you bet your sweet ass I will fight to the death for you. I will spread the gospel of how great you are to everyone and everything in my life. I am not a shy person.
Other things I love: cult TV shows (Freaks and Geeks, Six Feet Under, Party Down, The OC, It’s Always Sunny, Arrested Development, The Golden Girls); cult movies (John Waters movies, Empire Records, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Benny & Joon, Scott Pilgrim, Rocky Horror, Steel Magnolias, Labyrinth, Clue, every Wes Anderson movie but especially Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums); food (I will go on streaks where I will crave the same food, constantly, and then I’ll never want to eat it again after a few days/weeks/months); coffee; wine (alcohol of any sort, really); books (all the books. Give me your books); flowers; colors; GLITTER (there will never not be glitter on my person); sex; chocolate; Halloween; cats; shopping; dancing; singing; lists of random things.

Not that I don’t like Modest Mouse or Death Cab or Radiohead. There’s a good six Radiohead songs I enjoy and know some of the lyrics to. Oh well. We all have our things.
You know when you’re younger and you hate things so vehemently and you think to yourself, “I will never like/eat/do/think that” and then you grow up and like/eat/do/think those things? Isn’t that hilarious? Things I use to hate that I now love: driving (I didn’t get my license until I was 21. Seriously.); onions; broccoli; leggings; Nicki Minaj; dating more than one person at once/polyamory or whatever the fuck you wanna call what I’m doing with my love life now; runny egg yolk (or really eggs in any form as I used to only eat them whence scrambled); red wine; rare beef; salads; spinach. Yes my life mostly revolves around food.


I wrote all of the preceding during some downtime at work today. Now, I'm not quite sure where to go with all of this nonsense, these lists of random information. I think I'm just going to keep listing random shit; keep it light and breezy for today's post.

Books I'm currently reading (I have always read more than one book at a time; I keep them on rotation): 1Q84; The Art of Asking; Consider the Lobster and Other Essays; An Untamed State; Wildwood; No one belongs here more than you; and about a chapter left of Heroines.

Books to be read: far too many to list. I'm dozens of books behind. I will try to keep better track of what I'm reading, though. I've also found that reading before bed makes me happier and I sleep much better than if I don't read. I used to always read before bed. Then again, I used to always just be reading. I didn't have to think about it; it wasn't, "Oh! I should read something before I sleep!" I was just reading all the time. Now it takes a little reminder, sometimes, to get off the internet or off of Netflix, to take that 15 minutes and read a chapter or a short story. The past few nights, I've read before bed, and I've slept more soundly than I have in weeks. But, I've also been writing every night. Which one is more beneficial? Or do they work in tandem? I couldn't say, at this point. No matter what, though, I'm sleeping better, and I've been feeling less stressed during the day. I'm also so looking forward to this weekend. One of my men-agerie is coming down to see me, for once, and I have so much planned. The winery I work at is having a blending party on Saturday, and he's coming to participate and hang out and explore my little city with me on Sunday. We've had it planned for about a month now; I hope it lives up to the hype I've built up in my mind. I just want to have fun. I think it will be amazing.

I guess not every post this month will be dramatic and secret-revealing. Such is the pity of general, day-to-day real-life blogging. I promise we can get back to dramatic, telenovela-style life secrets and dating misadventures shortly. It's just getting late here in the ol' PST, and I am losing steam and have to be to work early tomorrow for what will surely be a long and exhausting day at the office. Such excite. Much adult. Aren't you glad you read all this? You're very welcome. I love you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment